Awesome Austin

I have family that lives in Austin, so I get to travel here a LOT! Austin is the capital city of Texas. The weather in Texas is usually very sunny and hot.  Here are some more facts I've learned:

In Austin, there is a VERY, VERY fun park called Zilker Park.
This is me on a small pond in Zilker Park.
There is a sand pit where you can dig for "fossils".  There was also a train ride that went around the park. I got to go dip my feet in the water that connected to the Colorado River. There was a fun playground and a natural spring water pool. Natural spring water is water that is hot during winter, and cooler during summer so you can swim in it all year-round.




Texas is also known for it's delicious BBQ.  I am not much of a meat eater, so I can't tell you my real opinion, but I asked my family members on what they thought.

Alexander (6):   "I think Texas BBQ is unbelievably great!"

Mom:   "I love it! My favorite is extra dry."

William (15):   "It's pretty good."

Dad:   "Texas is the best beef BBQ in the country, especially brisket. They cook/smoke food for 12+ hours using Oak wood, which is plentiful in central Texas. Austin and Lockhart are the main areas where this style has been passed on for generations. Their technique uses only salt and pepper to season, with many places serving on butcher paper with sliced white bread. BBQ sauce is not used much, and definitely not soaked all over the food before serving. The meat in Texas is good enough so you do not need sauce, or if you do, very little on the side. The Texas BBQ style mostly evolved out of German and Hungarian meat markets smoking the cheaper pieces of meat (like brisket) and selling it to their customers as a lunch time only special. That lunch time only –or- ‘until we run out’ trend, continues through today, resulting in long lines at some of the best places. Most meat is sold by the pound."
This is the Texas state flag.

You can tell who the REAL fan of Texas BBQ is in our family!

Tell me what you think too! Leave a comment below.


No comments:

Post a Comment